Microsoft Certification Courses
Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment
A Five-Day Training Course
Your training is easier with Activia because we have:
Authorised Microsoft Training Course
This is an authorised Microsoft training course, delivered by certified Microsoft trainers at fully equipped centres using the latest equipment, software and course materials. There is no better way to undertake your training, to maximise your learning and ensure the highest marks possible in your certification exams.
This intensive, authorised training course combines five days of instructor-led training with additional e-Learning content to provide students with the knowledge and skills that are required to manage accounts and resources, maintain server resources, monitor server performance, and safeguard data in a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 environment It is the first course in the Systems Administrator and Systems Engineer tracks for Windows Server 2003 and serves as the entry point for other courses in the Windows Server 2003 curriculum.
Who Should Attend
This course is intended for individuals who are employed as, or seeking employment as, a systems administrator or systems engineer. Delegates should possess:
Module 1: Introduction to Administering Accounts and Resources
• Multimedia: Introduction to Administering Accounts and Resources • The Windows Server 2003 Environment • Logging on to Windows Server 2003 • Using the Run As Feature for Administration • Installing and Configuring Administrative Tools • Creating an Organizational Unit
Lab : Creating Organizational Units
• Creating an Organisational Unit
Module 2: Managing User and Computer Accounts
• Creating User Accounts • Creating Computer Accounts • Modifying User and Computer Account Properties • Creating a User Account Template • Managing User and Computer Accounts • Using Queries to Locate User and Computer Accounts in Active Directory
Lab : Managing User and Computer Accounts
• Creating User Accounts • Creating Computer Accounts • Using Queries to Locate Objects • Modifying User and Computer Properties
Module 3: Managing Groups
• Creating groups. • Managing group membership. • Strategies for using groups. • Using default groups.
Lab : Creating and Managing Groups
• Creating Global and Domain Local Groups • Managing Group Membership • Managing Default Groups
Module 4: Managing Access to Resources
• Overview of Managing Access to Resources • Managing Access to Shared Folders • Managing Access to Files and Folders Using NTFS Permissions • Determining Effective Permissions • Managing Access to Shared Files Using Offline Caching
Lab : Managing Access to Resources
• Creating and Sharing Folders • Configuring NTFS Permissions • Publishing Shared Folders • Testing Permissions • Configuring Automatic Caching
Module 5: Managing Access to Objects in Organizational Units
• Modifying Permissions for Active Directory Objects • Delegating Control of Organizational Units
Lab : Managing Access to Objects in Organizational Units
• Modifying the Delegation of Control Wizard and Delegating Permissions • Testing the Delegated Permissions • Granting Permissions to the Legal Organizational Unit and Creating a Taskpad • Testing the Delegated Permissions
Module 6: Implementing Group Policy
• Implementing Group Policy Objects • Implementing GPOs on a Domain • Managing the Deployment of Group Policy
Lab : Implementing a GPO
• Disabling and Deleting a GPO • Creating and Linking Multiple GPOs • Filtering the GPOs to Exempt Selected Users • Backing Up and Importing GPO Settings
Module 7: Manage the deployment of Group Policy.
• Configuring Group Policy Settings • Assigning Scripts with Group Policy • Restricting Group Membership and Access to Software • Configuring Folder Redirection • Determining Applied GPOs
Lab : Managing the User Environment by Using Group Policy
• Creating and Applying a GPO to the Graphics Organizational Unit • Assigning a Logon Script to Connect to a Printer • Using a GPO to Configure the Members of the Backup Operators Group • Using the Group Policy Results Wizard to Verify the Policy Settings
Module 8: Implementing Administrative Templates and Audit Policy
• Overview of Security in Windows Server 2003 • Using Security Templates to Secure Computers • Testing Computer Security Policy • Configuring Auditing • Managing Security Logs
Lab : Managing Security Settings
• Creating a Custom Security Template • Importing and Deploying the Custom Template
Module 9: Preparing to Administer a Server
• Introduction to Administering a Server • Configuring Remote Desktop to Administer a Server • Managing Remote Desktop Connections
Lab : Preparing to Administer a Server
• Enabling Remote Desktop • Creating a Shared Folder on a Remote Computer • Connecting to a Remote Console Session • Creating runas Shortcuts to Administration Tools
Module 10: Preparing to Monitor Server Performance
• Introduction to Monitoring Server Performance • Performing Real-Time and Logged Monitoring • Configuring and Managing Counter Logs • Configuring Alerts
Lab : Preparing to Monitor Server Performance
• Selecting the Appropriate Monitoring Technique
Module 11: Managing Data Storage
• Managing File Compression • Configuring File Encryption • Configuring EFS Recovery Agents • Implementing Disk Quotas
Lab : Managing Data Storage
• Troubleshooting Disk-Quota Entries • Recovering an Encrypted File
Module 12: Managing Disaster Recovery
• Preparing for Disaster Recovery • Backing Up Data • Scheduling Backup Jobs • Restoring Data • Configuring Shadow Copies • Recovering from Server Failure
Lab : Managing Disaster Recovery
• Backing Up the System State Data • Recovering from a Corrupt Registry by Using Last Known Good Configuration • Recovering from a Corrupt Registry by Restoring System State Data
Module 13: Software Maintenance Using Windows Server Update Services
• Introduction to Windows Server Update Services • Installing and Configuring Windows Server Update Services • Managing Windows Server Update Services
Lab : Software Maintenance Using Windows Server Update Services
• Create a Test Computer Group • View the Status of Updates and Computers • Back up WSUS
Module 14: Securing Windows Server 2003
• Introduction to Securing Servers • Implementing Core Server Security • Hardening Servers • Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer
Lab : Securing Windows Server 2003
• Using the Security Configuration Wizard • Configuring a Group Policy Object for Member Servers • Scanning a Range of Computers by Using MBSA
Module 15: Self-Study: Implementing Printing
• Multimedia: Introduction to Printing in the Windows Server 2003 Family • Installing and Managing Access to Printers • Managing Printer Drivers • Implementing Printer Locations
Lab : Implementing Printing
• Installing Printers and Setting Printer Locations and Permissions • Searching for Printers and Testing Permissions
Module 16: Self-Study: Managing Printing
• Changing the Location of the Print Spooler • Setting Printer Priorities and Scheduling Printer Availability • Configuring a Printing Pool and Redirecting Print Queues
Lab : Managing Printing
• Installing Printers and Creating a Printing Pool • Setting Printer Priorities and Availability
Module 17: Self-Study: Monitoring Server Performance
• Multimedia: The Primary Server Subsystems • Monitoring Server Memory • Monitoring Processor Usage • Monitoring Disks • Monitoring Network Usage • Monitoring Best Practices
Lab : Monitoring Server Performance
• Create and Configure Alerts • Configure the Messaging Service • Finding a High CPU Usage Process • Finding a High Memory Usage Process
Module 18: Self-Study: Maintaining Device Drivers
• Configuring Device Driver Signing Options • Using Device Driver Rollback
Module 19: Self-Study: Managing Disks
• Preparing Disks • Managing Disk Properties • Managing Mounted Drives • Converting Disks • Creating Volumes • Creating Fault-Tolerant Volumes • Importing a Foreign Disk
Lab : Managing Disks
• Recovering from a Failed Mirrored Drive
After completing this course, delegates will be able to:
Microsoft Course 2273B
Quality Assured Training
Click for more about our quality assured training.
Quick Course FinderWith truly hundreds of training courses to choose from, we have a Quick Course Finder that will help you to find the subject area and course you need.
Just click on any heading (in black) or section
(in blue) to go straight to where you need to be.
Click to use our Quick Course Finder
Regus House, 268 Bath Road
Slough, SL1 4DX
Sales: 0845 230 6150
Service: 0845 230 6159
Accounts: 0845 230 6157
Activia should be your first choice for UK wide training courses for business in the UK. We provide you with a full range of classes for Microsoft Mcsa MCTS & MCITP Certified Courses.
If you are looking for accredited workplace training throughout the UK, you will find that Activia offers a level of service that is unrivalled in the market, with quality, flexible 1 day Microsoft Certification Courses at fiercely competitive prices.
If your requirement is MCSA, MCTS and MCITP courses and certification, we can provide you with training courses from introduction to advanced level at highly competitive prices. You will find that for certification courses for MCSA, MCTS and MCITP, Activia will provide more tailored, flexible and focused solutions, and this enables you to get the most from your budget using the minimum of resources.
We provide Microsoft Mcsa MCTS & MCITP Certified Courses courses all over the UK, with modern, fully equipped training centres in the following locations:
Serving the City in Bank and Aldgate, and Canary Wharf from our London Bridge (SE1) centre.
Across West and South West London, in Hammersmith, Baker Street and London Victoria.
Serving South West England, covering Bristol, Avon and Bath and Radstock in Somerset as well as Clevedon and Chepstow.
Serving Warwickshire and the Midlands, covering Birmingham, Walsall and Dudley as well as Wolverhampton, Solihull and Tamworth.
Serving Yorkshire and the North of England, covering Leeds, Bradford and Harrogate as well as Halifax, Wakefield and Castleford.
Serving Lancashire and the North West, covering Manchester, Salford, Stockport and Oldham as well as Bolton, Rochdale, Wigan, Warrington and Macclesfield.
Serving Berkshire and the Thames Valley, covering Reading, Theale and Newbury as well as Henley and South Oxfordshire.
Serving Berkshire and the Thames Valley, covering Bracknell, Wokingham and Ascot as well as Crowthrone, Camberley and Woking.
Serving Berkshire and the Thames Valley, covering Slough, Windsor and Maidenhead as well as High Wycombe, Uxbridge and Watford.
Serving Buckinghamshire, covering Milton Keynes, Aylesbury and Buckingham, as well as Luton, Bedford, Stevenage, St Albans and Welwyn Garden City.
Serving Tyneside, also Sunderland and Gateshead, as well as North Shields and South Shields, and Whitley Bay.
Our experienced, high quality trainers will deliver your training to the highest standards and with the maximum effect.
For in house delivery of Microsoft Mcsa MCTS & MCITP Certified Courses, we have an established national UK network of trainers, as well as fifteen centres in London, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle, Bristol, Slough, Reading, Bracknell and Milton Keynes. So you can be sure that your UK wide training courses for business will be delivered in a quality assured and cost effective manner. For in-house MCSA, MCTS and MCITP courses and certification, you need look no further than Activia.