Quick links to our most popular courses:
Your place or ours? Training at your officesLots of our clients prefer us to come to them because it's easier to organise, and often much more cost effective.
All you need is a training room, boardroom or suitable spare office.
If you need laptops for software training, we can provide these too at a very small charge.
To see how it works, visit the Onsite Training page.
Activia centresClick on a location name to go to the page with more information, schedules and a link to directions.
Quick LinksHere are quick links to the most popular pages.
See prices for public (open) classes, private (closed) classes, and onsite training, where we come to your offices.
View the latest special offers, and how you can get Early Bird pricing for advance bookings.
For multiple and ongoing bookings, we have Multi Day Tickets and the Training Days Scheme.
And under our Price Promise, we'll match any like-for-like quote.
Quick LinksHere are some quick links to some of our most popular pages.
Quickly locate the course or subject area of interest, and click through for full information on content, prices and dates.
TAKE OUR CHALLENGE!
Get a great price for the course you need in just two minutes!
Check your skill level online, and be sure to get trained at your level.
Build a course which includes just the modules you want, to match the content exactly to your needs.
Contact detailsWant to contact us?
Please select the correct option so your communication is dealt with in the fastest time.
Quick LinksHere are quick links to what you need.
If you want help with your training needs, let us know:
Get your free copy of the Activia Training Directory
Set up a special class on the date and location of your choice:
We thrive on feedback - so please give us your opinion !!
Although we have sixteen centres across the UK, all operations are controlled from our Head Office.
Call us on 0845 230 6150
Or click to
Address details are:
268 Bath Road
Slough SL1 4DX
We hope to hear from you soon!
SQL Server 2008 Certification From Activia
Maintaining a Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Database
A Five-Day Training Course
Authorised Microsoft Training Course
This is an authorised Microsoft training course, delivered by certified Microsoft trainers at fully equipped centres using the latest equipment, software and course materials. There is no better way to undertake your training, to maximise your learning and ensure the highest marks possible in your certification exams.
This five-day instructor-led course provides students with the knowledge and skills to maintain a Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 database. The course focuses on teaching individuals how to use SQL Server 2008 R2 product features and tools related to maintaining a database.
Who Should Attend
The primary audience for this course is individuals who administer and maintain SQL Server databases. This course can also be helpful for individuals who develop applications that deliver content from SQL Server databases.
Introduction to SQL Server 2008 R2 and its Toolset
• Introduction to SQL Server Platform • Working with SQL Server Tools • Configuring SQL Server Services
Lab : Introduction to SQL Server 2008 R2 and its Toolset
• Verify SQL Server Component Installation • Alter Service Accounts for New Instance • Enable Named Pipes Protocol for Both Instances • Create Aliases for AdventureWorks and Proseware • Ensure SQL Browser is Disabled and Configure a Fixed TCP/IP Port • Describe the SQL Server Platform • Work with SQL Server Tools • Configure SQL Server Services
Preparing Systems for SQL Server 2008 R2
• Overview of SQL Server 2008 R2 Architecture • Planning Server Resource Requirements • Pre-installation Testing for SQL Server 2008 R2
Lab : Preparing Systems for SQL Server 2008 R2
• Adjust memory configuration • Perform Pre-installation Stress Testing • Check Specific I/O Operations • Describe the SQL Server architecture • Plan for server resource requirements • Conduct pre-installation stress testing for SQL Server
Installing and Configuring SQL Server 2008 R2
• Preparing to Install SQL Server 2008 R2 • Installing SQL Server 2008 R2 • Upgrading and Automating Installation
Lab : Installing and Configuring SQL Server 2008 R2
• Review installation requirements • Install the SQL Server instance • Perform Post-installation Setup and Checks • Configure Server Memory • Prepare to install SQL Server • Install SQL Server • Upgrade and automate the installation of SQL Server
Working with Databases
• Overview of SQL Server Databases • Working with Files and Filegroups • Moving Database Files
Lab : Working with Databases
• Adjust tempdb configuration • Create the RateTracking database • Attach the OldProspects database • Add multiple files to tempdb • Describe the role and structure of SQL Server databases • Work with files and filegroups • Move database files within servers and between servers
Understanding SQL Server 2008 R2 Recovery Models
• Backup Strategies • Understanding SQL Server Transaction Logging • Planning a SQL Server Backup Strategy
Lab : Understanding SQL Server 2008 R2 Recovery Models
• Plan a backup strategy • Configure recovery models • Review recovery models and strategy • Describe the critical concepts surrounding backup strategies • Explain the transaction logging capabilities within the SQL Server database engine • Plan a SQL Server backup strategy
Backup of SQL Server 2008 R2 Databases
• Backing up Databases and Transaction Logs • Managing Database Backups • Working with Backup Options
Lab : Backup of SQL Server 2008 R2 Databases
• Investigate backup compression • Transaction log backup • Differential backup • Copy only backup • Partial backup • Back up databases and transaction logs • Manage database backups • Work with more advanced backup options
Restoring SQL Server 2008 R2 Databases
• Understanding the Restore Process • Restoring Databases • Working with Point-in-time Recovery • Restoring System Databases and Individual Files
Lab : Restoring SQL Server 2008 R2 Databases
• Determine a restore strategy • Restore the database • Using STANDBY mode • Understand the restore process • Restore databases • Work with Point-in-time Recovery • Restore system databases and individual files
Importing and Exporting Data
• Transferring Data To/From SQL Server 2008 R2 • Importing & Exporting Table Data • Inserting Data in Bulk
Lab : Importing and Exporting Data
• Import the Excel spreadsheet • Import the CSV file • Create and test an extraction package • Compare loading performance • Transfer data to and from SQL Server • Import and export table data • Insert data in bulk and optimize the bulk insert process
Authenticating and Authorizing Users
• Authenticating Connections to SQL Server • Authorizing Logins to Access Databases • Authorization Across Servers
Lab : Authenticating and Authorizing Users
• Create Logins • Correct an Application Login Issue • Create Database Users • Correct Access to Restored Database • Describe how SQL Server authenticates connections • Describe how logins are authorized to access databases • Explain the requirements for authorization across servers
Assigning Server and Database Roles
• Working with Server Roles • Working with Fixed Database Roles • Creating User-defined Database Roles
Lab : Assigning Server and Database Roles
• Assign Server Roles • Assign Fixed Database Roles • Create and Assign User-defined Database Roles • Check Role Assignments • Work with server roles • Work with fixed database roles • Create user-defined database roles
Authorizing Users to Access Resources
• Authorizing User Access to Objects • Authorizing Users to Execute Code • Configuring Permissions at the Schema Level
Lab : Authorizing Users to Access Resources
• Assign Schema-level Permissions • Assign Object-level Permissions • Test Permissions • Authorize user access to objects • Authorize users to execute code • Configure permissions at the schema level
Auditing SQL Server Environments
• Options for Auditing Data Access in SQL Server • Implementing SQL Server Audit • Managing SQL Server Audit
Lab : Auditing SQL Server Environments
• Determine audit configuration and create audit • Create server audit specifications • Create database audit specifications • Test audit functionality • Describe the options for auditing data access in SQL Server • Implement SQL Server Audit • Manage SQL Server Audit
Automating SQL Server 2008 R2 Management
• Automating SQL Server Management • Working with SQL Server Agent • Managing SQL Server Agent Jobs
Lab : Automating SQL Server 2008 R2 Management
• Create a Data Extraction Job • Schedule the Data Extraction Job • Troubleshoot a Failing Job • Automate SQL Server Management • Work with SQL Server Agent • Manage SQL Server Agent jobs
Configuring Security for SQL Server Agent
• Understanding SQL Server Agent Security • Configuring Credentials • Configuring Proxy Accounts
Lab : Configuring Security for SQL Server Agent
• Troubleshoot job execution failure • Resolve the security issue • Perform further troubleshooting • Explain SQL Server Agent security • Configure credentials • Configure Proxy accounts
Monitoring SQL Server 2008 R2 with Alerts and Notifications
• Configuration of Database Mail • Monitoring SQL Server Errors • Configuring Operators, Alerts and Notifications
Lab : Monitoring SQL Agent Jobs with Alerts and Notifications
• Configure Database Mail • Implement Notifications • Implement Alerts • Configure database mail • Monitor SQL Server errors • Configure operators, alerts and notifications
Performing Ongoing Database Maintenance
• Ensuring Database Integrity • Maintaining Indexes • Automating Routine Database Maintenance
Lab : Ongoing Database Maintenance
• Check database integrity using DBCC CHECKDB • Correct index fragmentation • Create a database maintenance plan • Investigate table lock performance • Ensure database integrity • Maintain indexes • Automate routine database maintenance
Tracing Access to SQL Server 2008 R2
• Capturing Activity using SQL Server Profiler • Improving Performance with the Database Engine Tuning Advisor • Working with Tracing Options
Lab : Tracing Access to SQL Server 2008 R2
• Capture a trace using SQL Server Profiler • Analyze a trace using Database Engine Tuning Advisor • Configure SQL Trace • Capture activity using SQL Server Profiler • Improve performance with the Database Engine Tuning Advisor • Work with tracing options
Monitoring SQL Server 2008 R2
• Monitoring Activity • Capturing and Managing Performance Data • Analyzing Collected Performance Data
Lab : Monitoring SQL Server 2008 R2
• Investigating DMVs • Configure Management Data Warehouse • Configure Instances for Data Collection • Work with Data Collector Reports • Monitor current activity • Capture and manage performance data • Analyze collected performance data
Managing Multiple Servers
• Working with Multiple Servers • Virtualizing SQL Server • Deploying and Upgrading Data-Tier Applications
Lab : Managing Multiple Servers
• Configure CMS and execute multi-server queries • Deploy a data-tier application • Register and extract a data-tier application • Upgrade a data-tier application • Work with multiple servers • Describe options for virtualizing SQL Server • Deploy and upgrade Data-Tier Applications
Troubleshooting Common SQL Server 2008 R2 Administrative Issues
• SQL Server Troubleshooting Methodology • Resolving Service-related Issues • Resolving Concurrency Issues • Resolving Login and Connectivity Issues
Lab : Troubleshooting Common Issues
• Troubleshoot and resolve SQL Server administrative issues • Explain SQL Server troubleshooting methodology • Resolve service-related issues • Resolve concurrency issues • Resolve login and connectivity issues
After completing this course, delegates will be able to:
Microsoft Course 6231B
We can provide certification for SQL Server 2008 at any of our sixteen centres UK wide, or we can come to your offices if you have groups of staff, this is a particularly convenient, flexible and cost effective option.
We have been training since 1995 and have continually developed our philosophy of high quality, flexible and cost effective provision of certification for SQL Server 2008. This means you can be confident that we have the expertise, and the experience, to give all you need with training classes in Microsoft SQL Server 2008.
Call us now on 0845 230 6150 or request a free callback.