Naturally, high performing employees require motivation and encouragement to continue performing well. There are several ways to go about it, including offering incentives, setting goals, assigning interesting and challenging work, and so on. Communication is another effective method.
But how does it work exactly? To help you get the most out of your team, we’ve collected 7 useful tips on how to motivate employees through communication.
1) Hold regular meetingsArranging meetings and get-togethers is one of the most important steps towards improving communications and motivating employees. This is especially vital in a new team, or when new employees come in. The primary aim of these meetings should be building a good rapport and encouraging communication between you and the team, as well as among team members. When you do this, you’ll make your employees feel valued and that will motivate them to perform better.
This article from Hubpages discusses why regular staff meetings are beneficial for everyone, as well as how they can improve workplace communication.
2) Ask questions and offer suggestionsAsking questions and offering suggestions implies that you’ve been paying attention to others. These questions can even be simple things, like asking a new employee about how they’re fitting in or asking the team as a whole about their progress in specific projects. It’s equally important to let your team know you’re open to questions and suggestions as well. This will motivate them because they’ll know you value their opinions.
3) Encourage contributionBy encouraging contribution, you create an atmosphere of open dialogue. In the long term, this increases productivity as your employees are free to offer suggestions and ideas. You can encourage contribution by asking them for suggestions and considering them thoughtfully.
4) Keep them informedNothing alienates employees and hinders productivity faster than keeping important facts about the company from them. They’re a part of your establishment and everything that affects you will affect them too. By keeping your employees informed and regularly updating them on the company’s progress you help them understand that they are a vital part of the team.
5) Show interest in their concernsIf your employees approach you with certain problems or issues, it’s very important to take them seriously. Again, you want your employees to feel valued and you want them to value the well-being of your company in return. One of the best ways to achieve that is to be concerned about their comfort and well-being. This motivates your employees to perform better and they will become more invested in the progress of your business. Forbes has a great article on the topic which might give you some ideas on how to do this.
6) Be a positive communicatorKeeping all communication between you and your employees positive is crucial for the overall health of your company. If you find that someone isn’t performing well, it’s always best to speak to them in private. Express your concern regarding the drop in their productivity and ask them whether you can help. Similarly, you should also acknowledge and reward accomplishments and good work. If you need some additional help with this, Activia’s Communication Skills courses teach you how positive reinforcement is the best way to motivate employees to work better.
7) Offer flexibilityDifferent people work differently even within the same environment. For example, some people might be more comfortable working in a team, while others might perform better when they’re working on their own. While it may not be possible to offer your employees that level of flexibility all the time, it’s a good idea to permit it every once in a while.
Learn From Industry Experts
Expert trainers who will make your learning experience engaging, interesting and enjoyable.FIND OUT MORE!
Do you have any other tips or ideas on how to motivate employees through communication? Let us know in the comments below.